Why Direct Leadership® was created
The author of Direct Leadership® - Karin Zastrow - is a professional specialized in the organizational dynamics between leaders and employees.
She was some 20 years into her career as when she decided to create a leadership model based on deliverables.
She took this step, because over the years she had come to see, that:
- Leaders are a hunted species, and the hunting season is ... all year!
- But they are criticized and blamed, because they do not deliver something we never taught them.
The focus on deliverables came about from several observations:
- something had been missing from what the training industry had taught over the years with focus on competencies or personal development
- competency and personality also contribute to effective everyday leadership, but without awareness and focus on the job deliverables they do not translate into successful leadership action
- leadership deliverables is a combination of what leaders talk about with their staff and how they do it
- leadership deliverables may be described in a simple matrix model
- everyday leadership is a matter of reacting and acting when the opportunity presents itself.
Since that first beginning in 2001, Direct Leadership has grown to an international training concept with a textbook, workbook materials for class room training, a fully online training program, a profile survey, etc.
Direct Leadership training materials currently exists in 8 languages (Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Indonesian, Japanese, Spanish, and Swedish).